Director of IT
JOB TITLE: Director of IT
EDEN REFORESTATION PROJECTS (U.S.)
LOCATION: Glendora, CA
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
POSITION STATUS: Full-Time
COMPANY SUMMARY: Eden Reforestation Projects (Eden) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that works with local communities to restore forests on a massive scale, thereby creating jobs, protecting ecosystems, and helping mitigate climate change.
POSITION SUMMARY: We are currently seeking a Director of IT to provide leadership and hands-on support for our IT Operations team, including managing and supporting the on-premises technical environment, workstation management, identity and access management, information security, and user support and training. This position will manage and serve as a mentor to the other three members of the IT team. It is likely that this team will add 1-2 positions over the next few years as Eden continues to grow and scale, we begin to provide more support to Eden’s international offices, and our internal department takes on additional operational support for Salesforce.
Most of our work in the next two years will be focused on scaling up the IT department’s services – specifically, following best practices for managing a growing fleet of workstations and substantially reducing our cloud platforms in favor of fully adopting Microsoft 365.
In addition, Eden is in the process of building out Salesforce to use for several purposes. Salesforce implementation work will be handled in conjunction with an external consulting firm. Once projects have been implemented and they transition to ongoing operational functions, the IT team will be responsible for administering those components.
In 2022-2023, the IT department’s major areas of focus will be on creating a strong foundation for the future, including rebuilding Eden’s IT operations and infrastructure in preparation for scaling. Specific initiatives include:
- Simplifying the IT infrastructure and operations
- Fully adopting the Microsoft 365 ecosystem
- Standardizing Eden’s approach to workstation management and identity access management
- Consolidating Eden’s cloud platform stack – retiring several platforms, migrating content, leading user support and change management efforts
- Reducing technical debt
- Moving from bespoke solutions to standard approaches
- Incorporating the importance of business requirements and technical documentation into the culture of the IT department
This position will be a key member of Eden’s new Knowledge Management (KM) and IT Advisory Team, which will be guiding decisions related to Eden’s overall IT/KM strategy, information/data governance policies, IT prioritization, Salesforce strategy, and aligning IT with business needs.
- Oversee all technology operations and ensure their continued alignment with Eden’s business strategy and priorities, particularly in regard to the need to scale rapidly and efficiently
- Build and maintain a culture, and accompanying systems and processes, of consistent documentation, organization, and efficient management
- Build, develop and manage an IT team that combines a customer service ethos with the business imperative to have IT decisions guided by Eden’s IT strategy
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Technical skills — excellent understanding of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and telecommunications systems
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills: using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Strong business judgment
- Ability to communicate effectively with both the technical team and Eden’s business leaders
- Experience with Microsoft 365
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, information systems, computer science or related field (graduate degree a plus)
- Minimum of eight years' professional experience, including at least 3 years in IT. Minimum of three years' experience managing people and/or projects.
- Commitment to manage the department to advance Eden’s mission over other priorities
- Experience working in an organization with some international presence a plus
- Experience working in an organization that has significantly scaled a plus
- Pleasant workspace setting, comfortable temperature
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential
- Requires computer usage and sitting for extended periods of time
- Meetings may require walking and/or driving to various locations
- Extended or irregular work hours will be required during project launches and expansions
- When travel is possible, position may travel and participate in extended meetings, conferences, and trainings locally, in the U.S., or throughout our project nations
Eden Reforestation Projects is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.