Technical Team Director
Title: Technical Team Director
Department: International Operations
Reports To: Chief International Operations Officer
Position: Full Time
Annual Salary Range: $125,000 – 150,000
Start Date: February 1, 2023
Eden Reforestation Projects is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization facilitating landscape restoration and community development through nature-based solutions. Eden works in developing regions of the world to protect and restore forests and ecosystems by working with local communities to address and mitigate the drivers of landscape degradation. We have active programming in East Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
The Director will lead a team of technical professionals to develop and carry out effective strategies for landscape restoration and carbon projects, and country operational plans. Responsibilities include leading the development of technical documentation for submission to external Standards organizations and the advancement and technical implementation of Eden’s landscape restoration program framework.
The Director will collaborate with headquarters, regional office teams, country office programs, the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Team, and Finance, Operations, Marketing, and Development departments to coordinate relevant global initiatives and activities related to the Technical Team. This position will lead the team providing technical and grant writing support to regional/country offices and ensure that program quality aligns with Eden’s monitoring and evaluation standards.
The Director will supervise the technical leads that develop content and provide technical support globally. Technical team leads include forest and blue carbon specialists, agroforestry, restoration design, GIS, mapping, technical documentation, and socioeconomic development experts. This person will lead and coordinate effective communication of Eden’s programmatic (technical approaches) content to other departments and units in Eden and external stakeholders.
Management and Supervision of The Technical Team:
- Lead, supervise and facilitate the work of the Technical Team in designing and implementing foundation documents, standard operating procedures, and technical submissions, including the organization’s landscape restoration framework and country-level restoration and sustainability plans in collaboration with International Operations
- Lead and manage Technical Team members and coordinate with Regional and Country Leadership and in-country technical focal points in providing direction and necessary Technical Team support services to ensure quality restoration programming
- Provide leadership and inputs into cross-cutting areas such as program identification and design, monitoring and evaluation, accountability, program standards, and training and orientation
- Manage the Technical Team by developing team goals/objectives, well-defined job descriptions and annual performance plans, identifying opportunities and guiding staff; providing feedback as needed and completing annual performance appraisals; supporting professional development; and ensuring effective communication.
- Manage Technical Team budget planning, expenditure, and reporting
- Assess adequacy of staffing strategies to support quality projects and effectively recruit and develop technical staff and other personnel
- Ensure the safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Eden’s Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies
Technical Assistance and Implementation of Quality Programs:
- Lead Technical Team to review and develop standards and systems in restoration competencies in collaboration with MEAL and regional/country offices and facilitate awareness, participation, and contribution toward their development
- Lead the team in the development, submission, of high-quality project design documentation, in compliance with external technical Standards, including but not limited to the VCS, and SD-VISTA under VERRA, Plan Vivo, Gold Standard, and CCBA
- Oversee development of new tools and materials, ensuring that tools are user-friendly and accessible
- Support country offices to plan, develop, and implement landscape restoration strategies and annual operating plans
- Identify project assessment, design, implementation, and resource acquisition needs.
- Work with the MEAL team to document best practice and program results
- Guide foundation document development: review and edit reports, internal and external documents and conference and training materials before finalization
- Identify relevant technical services training and capacity building as necessary
- Support development of timely materials and manuals as required by International Operations and other departments
Representation and Coordination of Technical Team:
- Represent and communicate the work of Eden through networking and linkages with restoration/conservation organizations, major donors, technical forums, research organizations, and alliances including at international events and conferences
- Ensure Technical Team contribution to the organization’s strategy and operational plans
- Facilitate effective collaboration, representing the Technical Team with other departments
- Travel to country offices as needed in these capacities
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Advanced technical skills in technical competency(ies) are required for this role, including but not limited to a strong understanding of landscape restoration best practices, forest carbon project development, and community developmentDeep understanding of landscape restoration approaches and programming in developing country contexts
- Well-developed ability to identify opportunities and liaise with clients, donors, and other collaborating organizations
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with institutional donor funding implementation and external restoration and carbon standards
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills: ability to plan and coordinate work, ensure the efficient flow of projects and processes
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills including the ability to effectively coordinate and support a diverse team of technical specialists
- Results-oriented, positive attitude, resourceful, innovative, facilitation skills, analytical
- Ability to understand, communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures respectfully and consistent with Eden’s core values
- Ability to effectively cultivate positive relationships based on integrity, loyalty, honesty, and openness
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, Standards requirements, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations
- Ability to write complex proposals, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and operate well in a fast-paced work environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelors in Science in a related academic area. Masters preferred.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including leadership in program/project design, training, and capacity building.
- Technical capacity in landscape restoration, carbon project development and/or community development; practical experience leading teams and capacity in the development, design, and management of large programs.
- International experience is preferred.
- Considerable experience in, and willingness to travel to difficult operating environments, including in areas that are considered off-grid, sometimes for several weeks at a time
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Proficiency in spoken KiSwahili, Spanish or French preferred.
- Experience directly supervising technical staff and other team members.
- Position is remote and has global responsibilities
- Requires a commitment to work in a global asynchronous team with atypical hours
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer, bending, twisting, regular walking, and reaching. Overall mobility is essential
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds above shoulder height
- Must be willing to travel up to 30% of time per year in the US and internationally
All full-time employees are eligible for medical insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and participation in Eden’s retirement savings plan. Eden also awards year-end bonuses if merited.
Eden Reforestation Projects is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.